A Tragic "Death by WiFi" Claim
The death of a teenage girl in the UK is being blamed on her exposure to WiFi signals, according to her parents. As reported Monday at The Mirror Online:
A teenage schoolgirl was found hanging from a tree after she began suffering from an allergic reaction to WiFi, an inquest has heard. Tragic Jenny Fry was left with crippling headaches, tiredness and bladder problems brought on by electro-hypersensitivity (EHS). An inquest into her death heard how the 15-year-old’s mum Debra said her symptoms were caused because she was allergic to wireless internet connections at her school. Jenny’s body was found hanging from a tree at Brooke Woods, near her home in Chadlington, Oxon., at 4.20pm on June 11.
Tragic indeed. The death of any child, and the suffering of the surviving parents and relatives, is among the saddest of all thoughts.
The claim that Jenny Fry’s exposure to WiFi drove her to her death is extraordinary. Electro-hypersensitivity, or electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) is the blaming of headaches, nausea, concentration difficulties, and other generic symptoms on WiFi signals. This is unrecognized by the medical and scientific communities.
WiFi radiation consists of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields (or electromagnetic radiation) at intensities well below the maximum levels permitted by international radiation safety standards. That’s NON-ionizing EMF’s, and “well below” maximum levels permitted.
Systematic reviews in 2005 and 2010 showed no convincing scientific evidence for these types of symptoms being caused by electromagnetic fields. There have been many double-blind experiments published since then, each of which has suggested that people who report electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to detect the presence of electromagnetic fields and are as likely to report ill health following a sham exposure as they are following exposure to genuine electromagnetic fields.
Earlier this year while reporting on another WiFi exposure story, The Telegraph put it in to proper context:
It’s worth remembering that Wi-Fi occupies the same part of the spectrum as microwaves, which sounds terribly alarming. If it can boil water, surely it’s bad for us too? Well, no. Not at such low power. This is also the frequency of the cosmic background radiation, the echoes of the big bang that fill the sky. There is literally nowhere in the universe that does not have microwaves pinging around in it.
Jenny Fry’s suicide took place on June 11th, but it was only recently revealed by authorities that she was making suicidal threats many months prior. The parents were advised to seek professional help, but chose not to go that route. As reported then by The Mirror:
A coroner heard that Jenny had written her first suicide note six months before taking her own life and a month after police converged on her family home because she made suicidal threats over social media websites.
But her mum Debbie said she did not take her daughter to a GP despite police advice because she was worried Jenny would be admitted to a mental hospital, or given medication which had not worked for her friend Tom Boomer, who had leapt to his death from a multi-storey car park after becoming depressed when he moved schools.
Both of her parents also argued that Jenny’s suicidal ideation was the result of radiation poisoning because of wi-fi in the home and at school.
WiFi emissions played no part in harming Jenny Fry. Her suicide is a tragedy, and a sobering reminder of how anti-scientific thinking can play a role in life versus death.